This post may contain affiliate links for products that I endorse and use. If you buy from one of the links, I earn a commission at no cost to you.
I was always a Brussels sprout hater for as long as I can remember. Then one day I realized there are more ways to eat Brussels sprouts than just steamed and stinky. Like this Brussels sprout salad.
Since Brussels sprouts are kinda just tiny cabbages, you get a crunchy and flavorful salad base that is perfect with other crunchy things. In this case, (well) toasted almonds, thinly sliced honeycrisp apples and crispy bacon, well, coconut bacon
in this case. But real bacon would work too. Then it’s tossed with a bright, citrusy dressing and tossed with lots of Parmesan cheese crumbles.
I’ve made this salad dozens of times, and you can make lots of swaps or changes if you want (dried cranberries are delish!), but one thing that is important is to make sure your sprouts are sliced as thinly as you can get them, otherwise, you’ll get tired of chewing this salad. A mandolin is best, but a really sharp knife will work as well. Trust. Me.
Crunchy Brussels Sprout Salad
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, cored and thinly sliced
- ½ cup crumbled bacon, coconut bacon, or other bacon alternative
- 1 crisp apple, cored and thinly sliced
- ½ cup toasted almonds
- ½ cup grated or crumbled Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup olive oil or Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Put the sprouts, bacon, apples, almonds, and cheese in a large bowl.
- Put the remaining ingredients in a jar and shake well. Taste, season with salt and pepper, and adjust to taste.
- Toss with the salad, and serve immediately.