This post may contain affiliate links for products that I endorse and use. If you buy from one of the links, I earn a commission at no cost to you.
After a holiday weekend, I always feel like I need a salad
. Even if it’s not one chock full of veggies, just a big bowl of greens is enough to help feel better after indulging all weekend long. Since my fridge was kinda bare and I didn’t really want to head to the store, so I just used what I had.
My go to greens are a combination of Romaine and kale, and then I’ll go from there. In this case, some shrimp coated in the best blackened seasoning
, then seared in a cast iron skillet. It’s then tossed with a simple mix of greens and coated in an avocado dressing that is delish! The tangy dressing is great with the spicy shrimp, and you end up with a filling meal that takes about 20 minutes. I almost always have Romaine in my fridge, and had a bunch of kale leftover from something else, so this was the way to go.
You can swap the shrimp for salmon (my fave!) or chicken, or whatever you have, or even just add a bit of the blackened seasoning to your dressing and skip the protein step. For a lower carb version, just skip the croutons.
Blackened Shrimp Avocado Caesar Salad
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted
- 3 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Salt and lots of fresh ground pepper
- 1 head Romaine, chopped into ribbons
- 1 head Tuscan kale, chopped into ribbons and massaged
- 1 ounce shaved Parmesan
- ¼ cup croutons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- ½ pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons blackened seasoning
- Put all of the dressing ingredients in a blender and blend. Add water a tablespoon at a time until you’ve reached desired consistency.
- Put the chopped greens in a large bowl with the cheese and croutons and toss with the dressing.
- Heat the oil to medium high heat in a heavy skillet and add the shrimp and seasoning. Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until shrimp are pink and firm.
- Add to the salad and serve.