This post may contain affiliate links for products that I endorse and use. If you buy from one of the links, I earn a commission at no cost to you.
I try to plan meals, but it doesn’t always work out the way I think it will. Something always comes up, changing my plans, and leaving me with odd and end ingredients that I don’t know what to do with. Like in this case, I had a head of cabbage, a zucchini, some wonton wrappers
, and a jar of Chili Crunch
, a spicy condiment that I picked up with no real plans — it just sounded good. And it is.
So, why not make dumplings? Done.
I like dumplings, but steamed aren’t my thing, so pan fried it is. This recipe comes together pretty quickly, and you can add whatever you like, although mine was fairly simple. Mushrooms, peppers, even tofu or shrimp would be good in this, so if you have those, add them to the veggie mix.
These make an easy appetizer for a party, or you can do what I did, and just keep eating as you cook them, realizing after the fact that you’ve eaten a dozen without thinking. They’re that good, and fairly nutritious.
Pan Fried Dumplings with Chili Crunch
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 head green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 2 carrots, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 6 green onions, diced
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 package wonton wrappers
- Sesame oil, for pan frying
- Chopped green onions, for garnish
- Chili oil crunch or similar, for serving
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet. Add the cabbage, zucchini, and carrots, and stir and cook until softened. Add the garlic, ginger, and green onions, and continue cooking for another minute or so. Add soy sauce and vinegar.
- Stir, taste, and add more soy sauce if necessary.
- Remove from heat.
- Lay your wonton wrappers on a clean surface, and spoon a teaspoon or onto the wrappers. Fold in half, and moisten the edges with a bit of water (I just put some water in a small bowl and used my finger.) Press tightly to seal.
- Heat a little bit of sesame oil in a skillet and pan fry the dumplings until browned on both sides, in batches so you don’t crowd the pan.
- Continue until you run out of either the wontons or vegetables — I used up a whole package of wontons and had a tiny bit of veggies left.
- Serve with the chili crunch or soy sauce for dipping and more chopped green onions.