This post may contain affiliate links for products that I endorse and use. If you buy from one of the links, I earn a commission at no cost to you.
Okay, I know that a recipe for breadcrumbs doesn’t sound all that exciting, but hear me out.
If you’ve ever had a slice or two of leftover bread that was kind of stale, this is a great way to use it up. Buttery, crispy, with loads of summer flavor thanks to fresh basil and lemon. Oh, and garlic and salty cheese. And you were gonna throw that bread away!
I often add crunchy, toasty breadcrumbs to things like gnocchi
, roasted vegetables, or salad. It adds texture and flavor to things that may otherwise be plain. You can flavor them however you want, but in this case, I had a bunch of basil that was going to go bad soon too, so this seemed like a good idea.
Making your own breadcrumbs is best, but this works well with panko breadcrumbs as well, and is still delicious, even if you aren’t stopping food waste. You can store them in an airtight container and sprinkle them on anything that garlic and basil would be good on, so go wild!
Lemon Basil Breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 1 cup breadcrumbs, either fresh or panko
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Add the oil and butter to a skillet over medium low heat. When the butter is melted, add the garlic and basil, and cook for a minute until very fragrant.
- Add the breadcrumbs and stir until they become toasty and golden.
- Turn off the heat and add the lemon and cheese. Stir for a minute and remove from pan.
- Transfer to an airtight container and use however you like!