I don’t seek out gluten-free cookies, but I do seek out easy and healthy cookie recipes, which is what this recipe is. Not only is it among the easiest recipes, it’s also seriously good. If you’re looking for the perfect Paleo cookie recipe, this is it.
To be honest, I wasn’t sure I would like this recipes, because, while I am a huge fan of nut butters of all kinds, Nutella doesn’t really do it for me. For awhile, I thought it was because I didn’t like hazelnuts, but since I like every other nut under the sun, that can’t really be it, right?
It’s not hazelnuts, and it’s definitely not chocolate. It’s just too sweet. I like nut butters that taste like, well, nuts, and Nutella just tastes like chocolate frosting. Which is fine, don’t get me wrong, but I want to eat my nut butter on toast or with an apple, and Nutella is just too sweet for that.
This cookie recipe isn’t too sweet, but it does have lots of hazelnut and chocolate flavor. These cookies are also crisp and tender, and perfect with a cup of coffee or afternoon tea.
Gluten-Free Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 cups hazelnut flour like Bob's Red Mill or ground hazelnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or honey I used maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put the hazelnuts, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl and sift. Add the maple syrup, vanilla, and mix well. Stir in the chocolate chips, and mix until well combined.
- Drop the dough on a parchment lined baking sheet in rounded tablespoons and flatten lightly with your palm or a glass. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until edges are light brown.