This post may contain affiliate links for products that I endorse and use. If you buy from one of the links, I earn a commission at no cost to you.
Paleo birthday cake cookies are the perfect birthday (or any day!) treat.
In my quest to cut back on sugar, I’m on a mission to make the best low-sugar treats I can find. Sometimes that includes making them, as the case with these paleo birthday cake cookies.
I want to make a disclaimer here before I go on: I used regular rainbow sprinkles in these cookies. I did some research on the paleo/low carb/low sugar variety and found that you can make them. But making them is a tedious process that doesn’t seem worth it to me. You can also buy them, but they’re expensive and the rainbow variety is not quite bright enough for my taste.
Since I’m not trying to give up sugar altogether, and I don’t have any kind of dietary restrictions, I just used one of the many jars of rainbow sprinkles I have on hand. But if you want to make them, this seems like a good resource to start.
Now, these cookies use a couple of ingredients you might not have on hand. Cassava flour and coconut sugar. Cassava flour is a great alternative flour that is not beans or nuts. It doesn’t have a weird aftertaste, so you can make things like soft tortillas with it that use a few ingredients. It’s not one that you can swap one to one with wheat flour, so you’ll need a good recipe if you’re not experienced yourself.
These cookies come out of the oven soft. So soft that you need to let them cool before you eat them or they’ll fall apart in your hands.
These are great for when you want something a little sweet but don’t want to go overboard with sugar. Not that I’ve ever done that ?
Paleo Birthday Cake Cookies
These easy to make cookies are paleo, low carb, and delicious! Perfect low sugar snack to satisfy your sweet tooth!
- Mixing bowls
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cassava flour
- 1/2 cup finely ground almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Put the butter, coconut sugar, honey, egg, and vanilla in a bowl. Using either a stand or hand mixer, beat until fluffy.
- Add the cassava, almond flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined.
- Add the sprinkles, beat on low until just combined.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the dough into balls and put 2 inches apart on your prepared baking sheet. Press down lightly with your hand.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until cookies are firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before eating.
Calories: 184kcalCarbohydrates: 22gProtein: 2gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.3gMonounsaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0.3gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 179mgPotassium: 11mgFiber: 1gSugar: 13gVitamin A: 246IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 38mgIron: 1mgNutrition information is only an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. View full nutrition disclousre.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!