This post may contain affiliate links for products that I endorse and use. If you buy from one of the links, I earn a commission at no cost to you.
I never liked ranch dressing until I made it myself. It always tasted salty and overly processed, and sometimes has a gluey texture that’s anything but creamy. I could never understand why people liked it so much.
Then I made it myself, and it’s one of my favorites. I’ll even order it out sometimes, but only if I’m sure it doesn’t come from a bottle.
This version is a bit spicy from the addition of jalapenos, and is delicious on this salad topped with barbecue salmon. The salmon is easy enough — season with your favorite barbecue seasoning (mine comes from here
) and then saute until almost blackened.
The salad is a mix of Romaine, kale, and spinach, with additions like juicy tomatoes, sweet corn, bell peppers, and crunchy tortilla strips. I change this based on what I have on hand. Sometimes, avocado
. Sometimes a little cheese. Black beans? Delicious. Truly, whatever you think sounds good in this salad will probably be good, so just go with it.
Barbecue Salmon Salad with Buttermilk Jalapeno Ranch
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 bunch dill
- 1 bunch chives
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large head Romaine, chopped
- 1 bunch kale, chopped and massaged
- 1 cup spinach, chopped
- ½ cup corn kernels
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup broken tortilla chips
- 2 salmon filets
- 1 tablespoon barbecue seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or Ava Jane’s Kitchen Avocado Oil
- Make the ranch — put everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Taste, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Toss the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Season the salmon with the barbecue seasoning. Heat a heavy skillet over medium high heat and add the oil. Sear the salmon until well browned on both sides and cook to your liking.
- Add the dressing to the salad and toss. Divide into bowls and top with the salmon.