This post may contain affiliate links for products that I endorse and use. If you buy from one of the links, I earn a commission at no cost to you.
It’s been hot and humid here, and I am not a fan. It’s not the time of year for high heat cooking, and probably not for soup
. But it is time for sweet corn, and one of my favorite ways to eat corn is in a corn chowder.
This is when my Instant Pot comes to the rescue. While I was skeptical at first, it really does make summer time cooking a breeze. As a bonus, it’s easy cleanup, of which I definitely am a fan.
Overall, this is a pretty adaptable soup. I started by cooking some onions, peppers, and garlic in avocado oil
, but you could use bacon instead. Then in goes corn and potatoes, a yummy seasoning blend
, and some broth. Seal, cook, and add some cheese and milk. Stir in some fresh herbs. When you’re done, top it with whatever you want — this time I just used a bit more cheese and some green onions, but tortilla chips, avocado, and sour cream all work nicely.
Instant Pot Corn Chowder
- 2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1 russet potato, diced
- 4 ears sweet corn, kernels cut off
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes or Hot Roasted Garlic
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Turn your Instant Pot to saute and add the oil, onions, garlic, and peppers. Cook for 3-4 minutes and add the potato, corn, and seasoning blend. Cook for another minute.
- Add the broth, cover and set to pressure cook. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Release the pressure and open.
- If you want, you can puree some of the soup at this point — remove about half and add it to a blender, blend just a bit and add back to the pot.
- Stir in the cheese and milk, and set the pot to warm for a few minutes until cheese is melted and soup is hot.
- Ladle into bowls, top with desired toppings, and serve alongside some crusty bread.