I’ve made different variations of baked oatmeal before, usually consisting of blueberries and bananas, but I had some frozen tart cherries in the freezer, so this time I thought I’d change it up and use cherries. Tart cherries, not those dark sweet cherries, which I’m sure are good for somethings, but I don’t know what.
This recipe was fairly simple, and tasted like a cherry crisp, but there’s no flour and not much sugar. I wanted to add some nuts, and threw in some sliced almonds. A bit of almond and vanilla extract, and a dollop of vanilla yogurt on top round it out, but if you’re the type to eat ice cream for breakfast, it would be just as good (I totally am, but didn’t have any…I need to go to the store!)
- 2 cups frozen tart cherries
- 2 cups rolled oats
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk of your choice (I used whole milk because that’s what I had, but almond milk would be good)
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Coarse sugar, for sprinkling
- Yogurt, for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spread the cherries in a baking dish. Combine the oats, almonds, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl and sift to combine. Spread over the cherries.
- Add the extracts to the milk and pour this over the oats. Drizzle with the melted butter and sprinkle with the sugar.